[Vision2020] Southern Fantasy: Banning The Bible

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Nov 28 16:04:46 PST 2005

I'd agree with you that John's case had to do with things that make
current-day society more healthful and enjoyable and thus didn't speak to
the moral decline of culture, but I'm still surprised -- well, OK, not
really -- that you insist on referring to Southern culture in the 19th
century as "respectable."

It might have been from a calloused, white-male perspective, although it's
axiomatic that the measure of a society's "respectability" can hardly be
accurate if the measure is taken by those who benefit from wrongs committed
therein.  I'm certain that if you had lived then, you would have done quite
well.  But for the Christian, then as now, things are judged by a Biblical
standard of righteousness, not from the perspective of self -- in fact, one
may argue that Southern society was bad precisely because it benefitted
white men far more than anyone else, regardless of hard work, personal
morality, responsibility or merit.  Racism and patriarchy are  a peculiar
kind of "grace" -- favor given apart from merit -- and are evil because they
speak against the very things Christ accomplished.

That said, I would invite you to seriously try to consider how "respectable"
and moral Southern culture was to black slaves, poor white sharecroppers,
women, and children.  We know about the vicious treatment of black slaves
and can presume horrendous difficulty for poor whites. We know that women
were abused inside the home and out on the streets, and children were
subject to barbaric and violent treatment from their fathers' hands -- and
all of it was deemed not only acceptable, but necessary and Biblically
prescribed as well.

You can argue that today's American culture reeks in a lot of areas, but
it's painful to hear you wax poetic about some imagined Utopia,
neo-Jerusalem, or homespun well of wholesome Christian goodness that existed
only in the minds of those very few who were lucky enough to be born into
the ruling class.

Decadence is decadence even when you're the guy who comes out on top,
Michael, and thinking Christianly isn't the same as thinking Confederately .
. .

keely