[Vision2020] Southern Fantasy: Banning The Bible

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Mon Nov 28 09:05:18 PST 2005

John D.,

Remarkable response.  I said that the old America was more "respectable,"
not more "pleasant."   Apparently, you think scientific advance makes up for
moral decline, which is perfect commentary to where we are now at.

Michael Metzler

Michael <metzler at moscow.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the note.  Idealizing the past is precisely what I
> intended not to communicate in my short response.  I think that
> both the north and the south had a more respectable culture
> than the one we live in now. This was merely a weak comparison.
> It was a time a bit more saturated with fidelity, honor,
> morality, discipline, respect, love, chastity, beauty,
> architecture, religion, love of God, etc.  The land was not as
> filled with idolatry, hatred, bitterness, disloyalty, adultery,
> infidelity, dishonor, laziness, paganism, immorality,
> relativism, general cultural breakdown, statism, impiety, and
> just about any cultural non-good the western world spent 1500
> years enumerating. That's all I was referring to.

Since 1850, life expectancy in the ! US has risen from around 40 years to
around 75 years:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html

Since 1865, vacines have been developed against anthrax, diphtheria,
hepatitis, measles, mumps, pertussis, polio, rabies, rubella, tetanus,
tuberculosis, and yellow fever.
We now have, among others, antibiotics, the germ theory of disease, the
defibrillator, the artificial heart, in vitro fertilisation, an
understanding of human blood types and vitamins, and the human genome has
been mapped.
Since 1865, humanity has invented or discovered the air conditioner, the
automobile, barbed wire, the birth control pill, the cathode ray tube, color
photography, the compact disc, computed tomography, the computer, the
dishwasher, dynamite, the dynamo, the electric motor, e-mail, fiber optics,
the Geiger counter, the Global Positioning System, the gramophone record,
the helicopter, the integrated circuit, the laser, the Internet, the jet
engine, the light-emit! ting diode, the liquid fuel rocket, magnetic
resonance imaging, the magnetic tape recorder, the microprocessor, the
microwave oven, molecular biology, the motor cycle, nuclear energy, the
pipeline, the pneumatic hammer, the pocket calculator, polymers, radar,
television, radio communication, the radio telescope, the remote control,
satellites, the seismograph, the spectrophotometer, stainless steel, the
steam turbine, the telephone, the traffic light, the transistor,
ultrasonography, the vacuum cleaner, the washing machine, and the wind
tunnel.

I think we're better of in 2005 than in 1850.