[Vision2020] Southern Fantasy

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Sun Nov 27 15:39:42 PST 2005

Jim,

Thanks for the note.  Idealizing the past is precisely what I intended not
to communicate in my short response.  I think that both the north and the
south had a more respectable culture than the one we live in now. This was
merely a weak comparison.   It was a time a bit more saturated with
fidelity, honor, morality, discipline, respect, love, chastity, beauty,
architecture, religion, love of God, etc.  The land was not as filled with
idolatry, hatred, bitterness, disloyalty, adultery, infidelity, dishonor,
laziness, paganism, immorality, relativism, general cultural breakdown,
statism, impiety, and just about any cultural non-good the western world
spent 1500 years enumerating. That's all I was referring to.

Half of my country came and destroyed another half of my country, and it is
not clear that we are better off because of it.

The North's propaganda for the war was able to continue since the North won
the war. The North was no utopia for blacks and the real primary motivation
for the war was not to extend mercy to blacks (says many historical scholars
as I understand it).  I would certainly call this a more balanced view of
the civil war.  The years Wilkins has spent researching primary documents
certainly puts him in a better position than many of the teachers who had
their way with us, including high school teachers, college teaching
assistants, and even history professors who's expertise was not the civil
war.  I don't privilege Wilkin's scholarship; however, I've heard enough
primary documentation to know the confederate flag is not the same thing as
the Nazi swastika.

Michael Metzler