[Vision2020] Southern Fantasy

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Sun Nov 27 00:23:37 PST 2005

Michael,

I think it is terribly odd, in fact sometimes dangerous, that people
idealize a past they never knew, or hold on to a wrong occuring a
generation or more before. For me personally, if I was another person, I
could easily have hated every German I met. Who in the world hasn't had
a relative who was wronged sometime another life ago? Would it have been
productive for me to hate the daughter of a Nazi I met in Canada this
summer and to idealize pre-Hitler Germany?  In turn, how can you (and
Christ Church, Logos and NSA) idealize the southern states before the
civil war?

You mention both fondness and sadness for "a culture far more
respectable than the one I currently live in."  I can almost see the
world you reminisce for--the cool wind whispering through the ancient
live oaks, the pretty young lass, your wife, sipping a mint julep
sitting beside you on the veranda swing, the tease of an occasional
scent of scrumptious dinner sneaks out from the overheated stone
cookhouse out back, the elegant fine cut lead crystal glasses filled
again and again almost by magic, and, lucky for you there is not a
problem in the world that your fine overseer can't handle. Of course,
everyone is a Christian, and everyone lives by Christian
principles.There is no evil, and though some must work harder than
others, those that have to work hard are doing honest work--god's
work--because idle hands are a work of the devil. God has chosen some
above others and you are proud to be one of the chosen. It is a simple,
agrarian life. Your children are happy and love their live-in teacher.
Discipline problems are few.One day, the eldest son will take over. As
you watch the day turn to evening there is a wonderful pinkish red
sunset, and in those days it wasn't caused by the chemical plants. You
look out over the great expanse you own and you think, wow--the
plantation--my plantation, is a living breathing thing, well seen in
god's eyes, and those who live, work and die here, are part of one big
family, striving toward the same goal--yours. Yes, those were the great
old days, when Christians ran the south and it was just one big happy
family.

People being what they are, an intelligent person wouldn't be clearly
thinking if he thought that any place or time was as idyllic as my
imagination or yours. Somebody had to takeout the garbage, dig the
latrine, cut the meat, and plow the land. Legal and moral crimes
occurred then as now. And for heaven's sake, you don't even have any
first hand experience or talked to any living relative from that era.
How can you reminisce about something you never knew? Don't you think
there is a chance that you are idealizing something that never existed?
Mighten it be possible that although the plantation owner went to church
twice a week:
--The children's pretty young teacher, as well as several servant maids
succumbed to the plantation owner's attention?
--The overseer believed in "not sparing the rod"  and regularly whipped
and occasionally shot slaves?
--That slave families were split and sold to different owners?
--That church and politics ran together and corruption was rampant?
--And on and on.....

You are sad about something that never existed. People are people.They
do bad things sometimes. There is no oasis in history where everything
was a Christian based heaven on earth. I too am sad, sad that a good
person such as yourself who is only wants good for himself and his
family is gullible enough to believe otherwise. Why don't you work on
making here and now a better place, something that you can really
reminisce about later in life? That doesn't, by the way mean fashioning
the present to be like a past that never existed and making cultural war
on non- (or not good enough) Christians. Rather it means using your
head, realizing that Christians and non-Christians alike want the same
basic good things for themselves and their families.  It means everyone
together working for the betterment of all. It means avoiding power
hungry fundamentalists who, to advance their agenda, would idealize a
false past filtered through rose colored glasses and mislead and divide
us. It means having respect for others regardless of religion. It means
humility and compassion, attributes that seem to be missing in all
fundamentalists. Though not exclusively Christian, aren't humility and
compassion major precepts advanced by Christ?

Lastly, religion aside, does it make any sense at all to take the word
of two people who are not widely respected as historians? Peer review is
a very important concept when trying to make the best approximation of
the truth. By taking the word of Wilson and Wilkins too seriously you
are choosing faith in them over academic rigor-- a big mistake if you
really want the best approximation of the facts (and if you really want
"a balanced understanding of the civil war" ).

Jim Meyer