[Vision2020] Is Walmart the only company that's wrong about healthcare?

Kai Eiselein fotopro63 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 18:20:43 PST 2005

An emphatic "NO"
Sodexho USA, a subsidary of the multi-national, French owned company Sodexho
is the food service provider on the UI campus. I was an employee for six
years and can tell you from experience Sodexho is far worse than anything
I've heard about Walmart.
For instance:
Each year the company has a insurance enrollment period, pretty standard,
but if you had, say Group Health, you would find that Group Health wasn't
offered the next year, forcing you into another plan. Group Health would be
offered the year after; at a much higher cost, of course. I found thatout
the hard way.
Strangely, the insurance premiums went up an amount equal to or more than
any yearly pay increase. When I left the company, I was in a supervisory
position. My take home pay was LESS than what it was 2 months after I
started, despite earning well over the $6.50/hr average starting wage the
company offers.
At least three fulltime employees that I knew had to collect food stamps in
order to help feed their familes. Another employee, with ten years of
service, was earning less than $7 an hour.
With on the job injuries, Sodexho falls short. If an employee is injured,
that employee must have a release signed by a member of management before
seeking medical attention.
If a member of management was not available, the injured party had to wait
until a manager was summoned from somewhere on campus or at home before
seeking treatment. If the employee seeks medical aatention without
management consent, that employee can be terminated.
Management's oft repeated phrase to injured employees? "Wait and see how it
feels in the morning."
My own experiece was like this; I fell and landed on my right arm...hours
later, after finally getting permission and being told "Wait and see how it
feels."...I went to Gritman and the result? I had a broken arm.
In contrast I tore a ligament in my right knee while employed by the U of I,
I was told to go to the hospital immediately. Both entities are
self-insured, but Sodexho has little to no regard for its employees. But
Sodexho sells "Fair Trade" coffee. Whoopee.
Just to make the record clear, I was not fired, laid off or forced to resign
from Sodexho. I gave 2 months notice. I also knew I wwould not adavnce any
further within the company because of, as one ex-manager said on his way out
the door,after being fired "Your mouth is going to get you in trouble."
Maybe that was true, I was willing to speak up for those who were afraid to
and I walked out with my head up.