[Vision2020] Flag History

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 00:49:25 PST 2005

Problem with some people's understanding of the Confederate flag is that
they forget about the reason it was created and the reason it is used today.

The flag was/is a strong symbol of rebellion and separation from the
"parent" country and its ideals that the USA fought long and hard to bring
about - Freedom.  The flag was used as an identifier and reminder of the
Southern State's claim to be able to run their lives/states as they willed,
which at that time included the slavery and wanton killing of men, women,
children and families of blacks who were forcibly taken from their native
countries and brought/kept here for no other reason than to make a white
man's life easier.  It was and is a symbol of intimidation.  That is not
necessarily something someone should be proud of or be willing to be
identified with.

We balk at the outlandish behavior of other countries that practice today,
what our southern states did in the past.  We try to wipe out the memories
and abilities of those countries from continuing those types of actions and
killings.  We even go so far as to invade their country, wipe out their
standing government and replace it with people and ideals that we are more
comfortable living with and working around.  This includes the making up of
new symbols for those countries to use that would erase the stigma
associated with the sighing of old things, such as flags.  Yet, here in this
country when the Confederate flag is flown, it seems to be PC to some to
allow it as it is a symbol of family pride and heritage.

That flag did not exist until the 1860's - it represented the anger and
inability of those who created it, to compromise and come to terms with
their inhuman treatment of a group of people they felt they should be
allowed to keep/do with at will.

It is NOT a flag that represents any particular State - it is a flag that
represents a particular state of mind and a kind of hatred I believe this
country has spent well over 140 years trying to get past.

When the swastika is shown, we recoil in pain of the memories it invokes.
The same holds true for the Confederate flag.

"Those who do not remember the past are destined to repeat it."

J  ;)