[Vision2020] Courtney, WalMart and the poor

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Nov 21 20:29:40 PST 2005

Once again, I find inspiration, if not revulsion, in Dale Courtney's blog.
This time our sage blogmeister has quoted extensively from the pro-Wal-Mart
forces, and while some of the arguments are the same-old, same-old, one in
particular is downright sickening.

It seems that those of us who are identified as "liberals," either by
ourselves or others, don't want Wal-Mart around because of our animosity
toward the poor.  Liberals hate the poor, asserts the blogmeister, and so we
hate places "they" might congregate.

Yep, Dale and his buddies have nailed it -- rather than objecting to
Wal-Mart because the company exploits the poor and contributes to the
failure of small businesses and the breakdown of community, we libs hate
Wal-Mart because poor people shop there.   We evidently don't like shopping
around poor people, who may, we learn, be overweight, shabbily dressed, and
uncouth.  It seems we prefer to shop where our fellow shoppers and sales
clerks are snappily dressed, educated, and slim.  And, just for good
measure, our disdain for the poor extends to wanting to deny them the
$2300-plus a year the Wallies insist poor families save by shopping at Cheap
Plastic Nirvana.  Evidently at our last liberal get-together, we
progressives all conspired to make sure that poor people spend too much on
food storage containers, corn flakes, and pocket T-shirts -- and thus was
born our opposition to a Moscow Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Dale, please indulge me for a moment:  Bullshit.

Your affirmation and repetition of such divisive, stupid, and calloused
remarks requires a stronger response, but I'll stop there.  I sometimes
wonder if you even believe the things you say, and I hesitate to dignify
your comments with a response, but this time you've scraped the bottom of
the rhetorical barrel AND shown us your heart besides.  It ain't pretty.
You know nothing of what motivates me to do anything, and your smugness
reveals nothing of your concern for the poor and everything about your
hatred of people you disagree with.  It's a hell of a testimony, and I mean
that as literally as possible.

keely emerine mix

Hey, Dale --