[Vision2020] Mandating Religion In Science Class John D

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 20 18:25:40 PST 2005

John, you write;

“Why do you think evolution through natural selection can't be proven?”

No John, I write that Darwin’s natural selection as a means of speciation is
dis-proven by the fossil record.  Darwin’s assumptions of gradualism,
selection and change in the center of domains and a number of other features
of his ideas have gone down in smoking flames.

John you say;

“We should debate evolution through natural selection in science because it
is the best explanation we have for the origins of modern lifeforms.”

John, we are beyond Darwin.  Teaching Darwin is like teaching that flies are
spontaneously generated by rotting meat.  We do not teach Aristotle’s four
element universe either.

Gradualism is dead.  Speciation does not occur that way.  Further, most
biologists are so wrapped up in the study of the here and now and the short
term non-speciation related variations in species, that they mistake those
for adaptation.

John you write

“What do you mean by 'Darwin's Origin of the Species'? Are you talking
about the ideas in his book 'On the Origin of Species by Means of  Natural
Selection" or about our current understanding of evolution  through natural
selection? Either way, how have the ideas been proven  false?”

John, I refer to the false information contained in Darwin’s volume which is
most commonly called “Origin of the Species”  though you do give it’s longer
title.  But I also have more than a few bones to pick with what some would
consider natural selection, which in reality has nothing to do with
speciation.  Kids are being taught a confusing brew that in reality is not
science any more than tales of Zot the Eternal Earwig being responsible for
the Origins of Life.

John writes;

“Agreed, but there's no need to use 'scare quotes.”

John, I used quote because I have had to read what my kids have been taught
in school by biology teachers.  What they were taught is not evolution as we
know it to occur, it was an ideological screed.

I would love to continue this discussion, John, but I have a meeting to go
to.

Phil Nisbet