[Vision2020] Possible businesses, possible location for arts colony

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Sun Nov 20 08:04:26 PST 2005

Interesting that Phil should toss these ideas in. When the CityRepair folks
came to Moscow http://moscowwiki.editme.com/CityRepair to do a workshop, one
of the areas that was explored was the south end of downtown, where Jackson
bends east to reach the new intersection with US95-- opposite the terminus
of Main St.

I have been musing since the workshop that an artist's colony, housed in an
interesting mix of 1-2 story, industrially-inspired buildings would be an
interesting use of the space. Fit the design to the industrial buildings in
the area, corrugated metal, multiple rooflines, etc.

My notion is the colony would have a courtyard in the center, and buildings
would line both the road and the creek. An entrance would face the Hwy 95-8
intersection (crosswalk needed). Vehicular entrance back where the RR goes
through (leave the RR tracks, they would be part of the ambiance). On the
creek side would be a place for a restaurant.

Perhaps a UI architecture class would take on this site and explore
something like this vision. I'd pitch in to help with a public jury of the
project.