[Vision2020] Wal-Mart cause and effect

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 17 16:08:26 PST 2005

Hi Jeff & Other Visionaries:

As I think all of us recognize, this is a very complex situation not just
from an economics standpoint but also from a community standpoint and a
quality of life standpoint.  I hesitate to wade into the fray because I'm
certainly not an economics expert, but I did want to comment on some of what
Jeff has posted.

I'll start off by saying that we don't shop at Wal-Mart.  At all.  They went
a bridge to far one too many times for us.  Others think differently, and
that's their choice.  Not surprisingly, Wal-Mart has survived the loss of
our purchasing dollars  ;-)

I will also say that not one single of my investment dollars is in Wal-Mart
-- not in mutual funds, retirement funds, or investment accounts.  Nothing,
nada, zip.  I don't care how "profitable" an investment Wal-Mart might (or
might not) be -- I personally don't want to be making any money off an
investment I think is wrong.  To me, that would be like those who invested
in apartheid South African krugerrands.  Could I have made money?  Sure, but
at what cost?  Others think differently, and that's their choice.  For me,
profit and prosperity are about much more than the almighty dollar.

Finally, Jeff wrote:
"The myopic (and selfish) view she is trying to argue is that because she
doesn't want to shop at the store in Moscow, everyone else should be denied
the opportunity to shop there - the old "greatest good for the fewest
number" shuffle.  This is very much like the old "less is more" argument -
in this case, less choice for you and more cost for you."

Jeff, I think the same argument can hold the other direction as well.  If
Wal-Mart puts a Supercenter here, I am very worried that our choices will be
fewer.  My understanding is that grocery stores operate with a very narrow
profit margin.  We've already lost Tidyman's, and I fear that a Supercenter
will drive Safeway and/or Rosauers out of Moscow.

To me, that looks like fewer choices.

And, when Wal-Mart decides that putting two Supercenters in this area wasn't
as "profitable" as they'd like, what happens?  Even less choice.

I can't help but wonder if Wal-Mart disclosed to Pullman that they were
hoping to put a Supercenter here in Moscow as well?  I've talked to a fair
number of people who wanted Pullman to get a Supercenter, and one of the
reasons cited by every single one of them (IIRC) was they thought it would
pull a significant amount of Moscow shopping dollars to Pullman.  I can't
help but wonder if their thoughts have changed with the revelation of the
possibility of a Supercenter in Moscow.

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2005, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****