[Vision2020] Wal-Mart cause and effect

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Wed Nov 16 20:51:28 PST 2005

At last, Ms Opyr gets it - or at least part of
it. The point being made in my previous post is
that Walmart has little or no impact on those
businesses prepared to compete.  A local economy
is a complex entity.  Our local economy survived
the existing WalMart store and will survive the
new WalMart store.  Some businesses found a
symbiotic relationship to build off of WalMart's
presence here.  Some became challenged by the
competition and lost.  Some came and some went
for a variety of reasons.  By the way, Ernst
entered bankruptcy because of fractured business
processes across their system (the local store did ok).

But at the end of the day, WalMart is one of the
largest profit making employers in the County -
because it satisfies their customers'
demands.  No one is expecting Ms. Opyr to shop
there and I am certainly not trying to persuade
her to "give it a go".  The myopic (and selfish)
view she is trying to argue is that because she
doesn't want to shop at the store in Moscow,
everyone else should be denied the opportunity to
shop there - the old "greatest good for the
fewest number" shuffle.  This is very much like
the old "less is more" argument - in this case,
less choice for you and more cost for you.

I won't use tawdry sexual references to entice
you to a position - there is enough of that on
network tv.  This is a debate about choice and
who should or should not determine your
consumption decisions.  I think it is pretty
clear where I stand.  Let WalMart, an existing
business, expand their operations with additional
investment so that our local consumption choices
get the benefit of their product lines at
reasonable prices.  Let competition work - because it works.