[Vision2020] Wal-Mart cause and effect

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 19:27:18 PST 2005

Jeff Harkins, in his list of businesses that have opened in Moscow
since the arrival of Wal-Mart, makes the most common of logical errors,
i.e., post hoc, ergo propter hoc, meaning because of ABC, XYZ happened.
  I'll give you another example of this logical fallacy: all of the
businesses that Jeff cites have opened since Melynda and I moved to
Moscow.  Therefore, lesbians are good for business!  If it weren't for
sodomy, you straight folk wouldn't now be shopping at Winco, Staples,
or the fabulous expanded Tri-State.  Just for the record, Tri-State is
*the* store of choice for lesbian fashionistas!  That's where we all
get of our guns, knives, and prom attire.

Here's a question: what Moscow businesses have closed since the
existing Wal-Mart opened?  K-Mart.  Tidyman's.  Ken's Stationery.  The
Beanery.  Creighton's.  The Main Street Deli.  The Nobby.  The Spudnik.
  Myklebust's.  Karen's Ice Cream.  The Army Navy Store.  The Emporium.
The JC Penney's.  Ernst Hardware.  The Chevron on the corner of Third
and Jackson.  Is Wal-Mart to blame for all or any of these?  I don't
know.  And who -- apart from Jeff Harkins -- is willing to make a post
hoc, ergo propter hoc argument regarding these closures?

I'd be willing to argue that Ernst is a direct casualty of Wal-Mart,
but I'd use another rationale for my analysis: proximity.  The study I
forwarded to the list earlier suggests that proximity to a Wal-Mart has
a direct effect in terms of both benefit and detriment.  Restaurants
near Wal-Marts often see an increase in business; hardware stores, on
the other hand, go tits up.

Jeff asserts that hard data should win this argument.  Well, there's an
old saying among accountants: figures lie, and liars figure.  We don't
need a Wal-Mart Supercenter period, but we sure as hell don't need one
across from the Moscow Cemetery.  What a disgusting, tacky, trashy
prospect.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com