[Vision2020] City council elections-immediate appt. of Mr. Ament

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Nov 16 10:02:25 PST 2005

Donovan,

Not to beat a dead horse, and anything you or I write here will probably not have the slightest effect on what the city does, but you said:

"Jon resigning early would not free the seat, it would simply remain vacant until January. The law would have to be changed on the state level."

Notice the text of the applicable statute:

"A vacancy on the council shall be filled by appointment made by the mayor with the consent of the council, which appointee shall serve only until the next general city election, at which such vacancy shall be filled for the balance of the original term."

If I am reading this statute correctly, which could be open to doubt, then the legislative intent of this statute is provide a replacement for a vacancy on the council as quickly as possible after that vacancy occurs.  If this is so, then Jon, if he desired, could resign, and then Aaron could be immediately appointed to fill that vacancy until he is seated in January.  This is similar to what happened when Jack Hill resigned and Jon was appointed.  If I remember correctly, which is also open to doubt, the council appointed Jon mid-stream.

In my opinion it is more in accordance with the concept of representational democracy to have someone who has passed the current test of the electorate decide on current issues that are of concern to the electorate, than someone who was appointed without the consent of the electorate sometime in the past.

Others may differ with this opinion -- good arguments can be produced on either side of this issue.

However, I think the issue of whether an appointee should graciously step aside for someone who has been given the legitimacy of the electorate is a matter of conscience for and commitment to the concepts of representational democracy by the appointee (and the mayor and council).

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com