[Vision2020] City council elections-immediate appt. of Mr. Ament

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Nov 15 18:59:15 PST 2005

Donovan, et al,

For practical purposes in Moscow, the AG opinion may settle it.

However, it doesn't settle it at law.  There appears to be some ambiguity or
inconsistency in the statute.  That is why this discussion is occurring.
The AG's opinion is just another lawyer's opinion which would receive no
special consideration from the court if declaratory relief were petitioned
for.

It is likely, but not certain that the court would rule as the AG argues.

However, here's another question:  What would happen if Jon Kimberling would
resign very soon?

Jon is an honorable person and I mean no disrespect toward him.  However,
Jon is not in office because of a direct vote of the electorate.  He was
asked to serve, he graciously agreed to serve if appointed, he was appointed
by the council, and he did serve with honor (and made some great personal
sacrifices in order to do so).  If the AG's opinion is correct, Jon has a
right to continue serving until the first week in January.

However, Jon was not directly elected by the voters.

What are Jon's feelings and opinions about this?  About representational
democracy?

What are Jon's feelings and opinions about the difference between being
appointed and being elected?

Does Jon believe that the current will of the electorate is more or less
important than staying in his appointed office a few more weeks regardless
of how well he served?

Aaron campaigned by taking a definite position on several hot-button issues.
Does Jon believe that the latest decision by the electorate means that Aaron
should be allowed to be part of the decisions on those hot button issues
which might come before the council before the first week of January?

Jon will give the citizens of Moscow the answers to these questions above by
his actions.  If the AG's opinion is correct, then the matter is now Jon's
call, and best left to his conscience alone.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com