[Vision2020] XYY Syndrome On list

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 07:42:39 PST 2005

Saundra

You wrote

"In light of the seemingly more current information in the link I was
directed to, I think folks will understand why I took exception with your
initial post:
"Kids with it have an extra dose of male, but that tends to make them 10-15%
less bright than average, likely to be over agressive, suffer from cerebral
palsy like disfunction and a host of other problems."
The more current information indicates those statements are a perpetuation
of outdated information."

If you scroll through the studies that you list as more current, you will
find that they reference the same things that I did.  The children are not
mentally retarded, but they are definately listed in both of the studies you
provide as having a lower acheivement testing score than average ;and as
being learniing dusabled.  The higher testosterone for XYY is treatable, but
if not treated does increase agressive tendencies in the youngest kids,
which as I noted, tends to settle back and be normalized by the time these
kids reach 15--17 years of age.  The other chromosome related disabilities
are also treatable.

The fact is that we do not screen for these problems here and since the
incidence is 1 in 500, there are definately going to be a few kids here in
our school system who have this disability.  It is not life threatening, but
it does hold kids back who could be helped by better learning programs and
treatment.

I initially responded to off the top statements by some posting here who
were treating XYY as a joke.  Its not, its an illness that requires
treatment and is not a joking matter.

And liberal or conservative, we all believe that education and treatment of
children is a priority.  The real question there is whee to find the funds
to cover it and what to spend the money on.

Phil Nisbet