[Vision2020] Question Concerning City Council

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 12:55:18 PST 2005

I think that this is unfair to the community and to
the candidate to make them wait to fill that vacancy
when the people have stated their will.

The people have spoken and the seat should be filled
by the person that the people elected, not an
appointee.

Either that, or all the city council candidates should
be put in one election and the candidate with the
fourth amount of votes should get the 2-year term.

The purpose of an appointment on the city council is
because the will of the people is not known and an
election is costly. It is not so that majority of the
council can expand their majority, or so the mayor can
fill the council with friends or people that are going
to pursue their agenda.

Therefore, there is no logical reason not to swear in
Aaron Ament, or who ever wins a seat to fill a vacancy
as soon as the vote is officially counted and
certified.

What the city is saying, is that even though we know
who the people want in that seat, we are not going to
let them have it.

In the US Senate and House, when a vacancy occurs, the
person is sworn in sooner than the other candidates.
This should be what happens in Moscow as well, it is
called democracy.

-DJA