[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (November 11, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 11 05:34:46 PST 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (November 11, 2005) UI Friday Letter from
UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Nov. 11, 2005

Dear Friends,

Members of the University leadership have completed a draft Strategic Plan
to help us reach our vision as one of the nation's top flagship,
student-centered, research extensive universities. The plan
"operationalizes"
the Plan for Renewal that was issued last February, and it comes at the
beginning of a new era in the history of the institution. We have dedicated
faculty and staff, engaged students, loyal alumni and strong programs
throughout the state on which to build. Members of the University and its
supporters are working together to re-invigorate the institution, charting a
new course and fulfilling our role as the flagship research land grant
institution in the state.

The Strategic Plan offers us the initial direction to continue that
renaissance. It is built around four goals: teaching and learning; discovery
and creative activity; outreach and engagement; and organization, culture
and climate. Your comments on the draft Strategic Plan are encouraged as we
finalize our vision for the future. You can access the plan at
www.provost.uidaho.edu.

On behalf of the University, I also want to express my gratitude on this
Veterans' Day to the women and men who have served and are serving in the
United States Armed Forces. We have generations of wonderful alumni who have
protected our country and preserved our freedom. Today, we honor their
service and reflect on their sacrifices.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The University has named Nancy J. Dunn as the new vice president of finance
and administration, contingent upon approval of the University of Idaho
Board of Regents/State Board of Education. With almost 30 years of strategic
finance, higher education and public administration experience, Dunn will
serve as chief fiscal officer and bursar to ensure stewardship of
institution's resources in the President's Plan for Renewal of People,
Programs and Place.
She assumes the position January 30, 2006. Dunn most recently served as vice
president for finance and administration and chief financial officer for the
World Wildlife Fund-U.S.

The University has named Wendy E. Shattuck as assistant vice president for
marketing and strategic communications. She will be responsible for
developing and implementing the University's strategic communications
initiative and positioning the University as a leading land-grant and
research university in the nation. She assumes her new role January 1, 2006.
Shattuck will draw upon more than 18 years experience in higher education,
corporate and agency environments. She will play a vital role in integrating
and aligning communication and marketing efforts throughout the fabric of
the University of Idaho, and in communicating our value to our constituents
and stakeholders.

Most recently, Shattuck served as director of public affairs at Reed College
in Portland.

The University honored two Moscow couples yesterday. Everett and Lois
Samuelson and Dale '52 '55 and Darlene '55 Everson received the UI Alumni
Association Treasure Award, which recognizes retired UI faculty, staff and
family members, who, in their retirement years, have made significant
achievements in service and leadership to the University. Everett Samuelson
is a former College of Education dean and Lois Samuelson has been active in
the community for many years. Dale Everson was a professor and directed the
division of statistics at UI, and retired in 1996. Darlene Everson actively
supports the Idaho Repertory Theater.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy