[Vision2020] Joan and the Celtic Goddess

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Thu Nov 10 10:04:10 PST 2005

I was going to repost Aaron's post in better format, but Dale has already
done this for me:  From Blogdale to your door step:

Joan Opyr writes:

Doug and Doug - and you, Michael -- are skating perilously close to idolatry
in the claims you make regarding the Trinity. This was especially evident in
the Trinity Fest this summer in the Feast of St. Brigid. Do you know who
Brigid was? Maiden, mother, and crone. She was a Celtic goddess; she made
the crops grow, she was called upon to aid in childbirth; the Irish still
put out bowls of milk on St. Brigid's Day. Why? Because Brigid the Goddess
had a bit of a nasty streak - she needed to be appeased.

Incorporating Brigid into your worship (or your Trinity Fest) is syncretic,
Michael, but it's bad Christian theology. It's heresy. As long as you
Celt-ify your worship with eyes wide open, fine, but I don't think your eyes
are wide open. I believe that you view Doug Wilson with your eyes squinted
up and your head tilted to one side (the right). You are theologically
inconsistent, and, as a Christian, this puts you in peril. Know this; think
about this; be clear about this. You believe the God I worship is "sexless"
and "masturbatory." I believe the God you worship is a confused mess, an
unsavory mixture of rank Anglophilia, sophomoric bigotry, and sexist
convenience.

Aaron corrects her:

Just a quick correction for you. I'm sure there was a Brigid who was a
Celtic goddess, but if you recall the name of the feast at Trinity Fest was
*Saint* Brigid's Feast. That's because we were not naming our feast after
Brigid the Celtic goddess, but after a Christian medieval nun who was known
for her hospitality and looked forward to serving beer to King Jesus in
heaven. In fact, she probably heard St. Patrick preach at least one sermon,
and she was also known for giving away milk to the poor. You should ask
Rose, I gave her a copy of the poem written by St. Brigid where some of this
is mentioned.

So, no, Michael doesn't need to worry about syncretism or heresy. St. Brigid
is just one of our sisters in the historic Christian faith, and a good
example of what it means to be hospitable. No nasty streak here.