[Vision2020] Evolution's Sky

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:51:08 PST 2005

Michael

Its common for most people to think of what has been termed the Missing
Links in a chain of slow but gradual evolution and then to sally forth into
the field and try to find locations which contain fossil evidence of these
'gaps' or use them as a means of claiming that evolution does not exist.

Darwin's gradualism requires there to be an almost unbroken chain of slowly
evolving creatures along any species line and if his work were correct,
there night just be a point to that exercise.  But we live in an evolution
which simply does not work that way.

The reason that there are 'gaps' is that off in the edges of a habitat,
where the feeding is not as good and the climate is not so nice and the
conditions are simply tougher, the members of the species have a chance to
adapt and evolve.  Those areas are a very small part of the range and one
that can be easily lost and not preserved in the geological record.  We have
'gaps' because that’s how it works.

Unfortunately, kids are taught Darwinian Gradualism in school.  That concept
is as dead as the Dodo.  But unfortunately, biologists are not often
required to take Paleontology and learn the concepts of punctuated
gradualism and not too many Geologists or Paleontologists head over to teach
school.

Phil Nisbet