[Vision2020] Election vote details

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 14:04:22 PST 2005

Mark,

Good to hear from you. Yes, it is disappointing that only 30% of registered voters turned out to vote. However, those numbers are deceptive and not really accurate.

In fact, voter turnout for this election was 33% higher than the last city election. 4000 people voted in this election, versus only about 3000 in the last city election in 2003.

The reason that the numbers are so low is because the students do not vote in the city elections. For example, in Precinct 8, only 5 people voted, out of about 1000. That percentage is averaged with all the other precincts and drives the percentage down.

We also have to look at the fact that most students registered for the 2004 general elections and many have moved away, so they are not living in the city to vote. Most cities do not take you off the list of registered voters until either you register somewhere else or have not voted for many years.

If you look at the precincts that include very few students, the percentage of voters increases greatly to about 45-65% or registered voters, depending on the precinct. That is equal to or higher than the national average.

One way to look at the issue, there are 8,000 metered addresses in Moscow, and there were 4,000 votes cast.

Also, you can consider it this way, more than 1 out of 5 people in Moscow voted. With about 3 people in the city either being underage, a student, not a US resident, a criminal, or no longer even residing in the city.

Moscow has a high number of registered voters for its population, 70%. Most cities have about only 50%. So a higher percentage of the city residents must show up to reach the turnout reported in comparison to other cities.

But I do agree, we should have a 100% turnout in every election.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

Mark Seman <fcs at moscow.com> wrote:
It's very sad that only 31% of Moscow seems to care about voting.

FYI - Prescott had a 65% turnout, which is still disappointing.

http://www.co.yavapai.az.us/Elections/2005/1108/Results/Results-1.htm

Mark Seman
Full Circle Studios
Moscow, ID