[Vision2020] kirk email

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Nov 8 12:52:22 PST 2005

Dale Wrote (see his link):

The U.S. Supreme Court held in McDaniel v. Paty (1978) that ministers may
serve in state legislatures and hold public office. If a minister may serve
in a public office, certainly he may testify as an individual before a
public office. Just because you are a pastor doesn't mean that you lose your
rights to speak. But that doesn't keep zealots from fighting for that
result.

Me:

I just called Wilson to confirm what I thought his position on this is.
Generally speaking (i.e. with qualifications regarding abnormal times, etc)
Wilson is very sympathetic with law not permitting an active minister to
also hold public office.  And I know I don't think a minister should be
permitted to hold public office while they are actively serving as a
minister (although Dale's statement of the ruling is ambiguous here).
Wilson can testify as an individual, and I'd think he could even testify as
a prophet from God,  but I don't think that MCDaniel v. Paty is a good
justification for it, although it certainly seems to legally justify it.
Separation of Church and State is a wonderful fruit of Christianity.

Now we can all be friends and start talking about sex again. :-)

Thanks!

Michael Metzler