[Vision2020] Intelligent Design vs. Evolution

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 01:57:04 PST 2005

Joe Campbell a while back challenged me as to why I
did not speak out against Intelligent Design when I
believed in Evolution. I wanted to get back to him on
that but did not have time to organize my thoughts and
put them into words that made sense to most people.

I will not denounce Intelligent Design because it true
just like Evolution is true.

Arguing Evolution Vs. Intelligent Design is like
arguing the How vs. Why, it is comparing two totally
different things. It is like arguing that a library
was not intended to hold books because you can explain
how the library was built. Looking at the design plans
will not tell you what the intentions of the designer
was, you must infer it using your own reasoning.

 To me, it is obvious that evolution took place, and
is taking place, just as it is obvious that it was
done with intention and purpose. However, science
cannot, nor does is ever attempt to explain the why or
motive. It can only make observations and report the
results. I also believe that faith does not depend on
human scientific observations.

As a Catholic, we are taught that evolution is the
plan of God. I agree with that concept. I think that
God loves us, and that he planned everything the way
he wanted it to be. He wanted evolution, he wanted us
to change with the environment.

There are many people that will falsely look at the
old testament, Genesis, and take a literal
interpretation of the creation of man and woman. Most
Christians that I know, do not take Genesis as
literal. I do not see how anyone could take it that
way. To me is symbolic and put in terms so that
anyone, from anytime, can read it. If God had intended
the story of creation to be taken literally and
scientifically, I think he would have made sure it was
written that way and been far more detailed.

I also do not take the Bible as 100% fact in science
and in general. It is meant as a spiritual guide to
help us toward building a personal relationship with
God. Science cannot teach us everything we need to
know. If it could, why have any other courses in
school, such as Art, Music, Philosophy, Creative
writing, and Theater? Do we devalue these subjects
because they are not solely scientific, of course not.
We see them as having value and merit, despite there
lack of scientific reasoning for existence.

Evolution is how God created us. Intelligent Design is
why.

-DJA