[Vision2020] Is John Calvin an Intolerista?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 1 16:24:15 PST 2005

Wayne, Gabe, et al,

I'm a little surprised that whoever organized the discussion on
"Predestination:  Damnable Heresy?" was so broad (careless?) in presenting
it that way.

It may seem like splitting hairs, but no Christian doubts that
"predestination" is true -- that's not the issue.  The debate is on what
God's foreknowledge is based upon -- His "good pleasure" in saving some and
damning others (Calvinism), or the volitional response of those who are
presented with the Gospel (Arminian).

I agree that most people, Christians included, think that "predestination"
is the point of contention, but the real argument is predestination on what
basis.  I reject the Calvinistic interpretation of Calvin's own five points,
but I'm not Arminian, either.  I'm solidly, if a bit dully, in the middle.
Most Christians fall somewhere in between and hold to our predestination in
Christ, whether leaning toward the 5-point Calvinistic T U L I P or the
Wesleyan "free will" of the believer.

OK, off to the kitchen, where I believe my son is destined to unload the
dishwasher while exercising his free will to keep putting it off . . .

keely