[Vision2020] Equality JUST for Gays and Lesbians??

Melissa Hendrickson hend5953 at uidaho.edu
Sun May 29 20:19:23 PDT 2005

Donovan-

Yes, I know that bisexuals would be included in law banning discrimination, I mentioned them because too often in the GLBT community the B and T get left off and it is straight, white, middle class, gay men and lesbians who do all the talking and they forget to be inclusive.

Also as the laws concerning gender stand, only folks that fall under the gender binary of male and female are covered.  Folks that are in transition or identify as other gendered are not always protected by gender discrimination laws.  In Idaho an individual cannot change their drivers license from M to F or F to M, even after surgeries and all the right doctor's notes. "Regardless of gender" may sound like it covers transgender rights, but it does not.

Also a note on my name, since I use my vandal mail account I cannot change the name on my outgoing email.  So unfortunately it says Melissa.  I have not gone by this name for some time.  I am working on legally changing it, but with writing a thesis and still trying to find a summer job I don't have the time.  I have gone by Mo most of my life and all of my adult life. It is the name I prefer.

--Mo