[Vision2020] Evangelical Christianity vs. Wilsonian Christianity

Steven Simmons lowman at lowbatteries.com
Sun May 29 13:11:40 PDT 2005

Mr. Arnold,

I agree with you that most churches aren't organized like democracies:
they are organizations for worshipers to gather and share in their beliefs.
As such, they usually do not have agendas and therefore no "sins" that
belong to the church and its members as a collective.

However, as an extreme example, I head a church that oppresses the women
and children and forces them into compliance with my religious
ideologies against their will, I, and all those in my church who knew of
my actions, are at fault.

"God does not take requests as to what is right and wrong."

What does God have to do with the actions of a church? The belief
structures and actions of a church are made by men. Even believers,
except Mormons, which believe in modern-day revelation, agree with that.
I doubt Doug Wilson would say that God organized his church.

I would not be at all surprised to discover that Doug Wilson's actions
are blown out of proportion. He preaches offensive things, and even
though that is his right, it is an obvious reaction that people would
want to attack him on a personal level. Of course, just because people
hate him doesn't mean that their accusations aren't true, either.

"So logic dictates it is the content of his religion, his freedom to
practice his faith, that is being hindered."

The first amendment right to free speech provides protection from the
government, not citizens. I can go to every speech of Doug Wilson's and
make every (legal) attempt to silence him, and I am not violating his
rights in the least.

I feel it my moral obligation to fight tooth and nail against bigotry,
including hindering the expansion of religions I deem as being a threat
to the good of mankind. However, I believe education, understanding, and
acceptance are the way to do this, not hissy fits. Alienating those you
are attempting to help is counterproductive.

Just as Christians have a right to stand on street corners and pass out
their religious texts, I have a right to stand up and try to convince
people to not accept their ideals.

"Their beliefs do not impact his life unless he lets it."

Unless of course, one wants to have a same-sex marriage, buy beer on
Sunday, or buy sex toys in Virginia (yes, its illegal there). Belief
structures have been a source of restricting personal liberty since the
dawn of time, and it is our right to fight back against imposing belief
structures.

Steven Simmons