[Vision2020] Complaint Filed to Close Down the University of Idaho

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu May 26 15:16:52 PDT 2005

Greetings Visionaires and Vandals -

At a time when budget cuts are being imposed against several departments
within the University of Idaho so that the university can continue, people
find a reason to be hopeful that tomorrow will be brighter than today.

At a time when many long-term, now discontinued employees of the University
of Idaho are clearing out their desks so that others may not have to, people
find a reason to be hopeful that the university will remain one of the
region's largest employers.

At a time when many local citizens and even more University of Idaho alumni
look forward to the coin toss of the Vandals' first football game in the
Kibbie Dome . . .

There are some Moscow citizens that are attempting to extinguish the candle
of our university's future, to terminate the employment of all university
staff and faculty, and to close the doors at our 116-yeard old university.

On Monday (May 23, 2005) two Moscow citizens, Nathan Wilson and Aaron Rench,
filed a complaint with the city of Moscow seeking to cease operation of the
University of Idaho.

The complaint which they filed is available for your review at:

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Zoning_Complaints/UI_Complaint.htm

Our university has enjoyed a long and prestigious life that has spanned
three centuries (the 19th, 20th, and now the 21st).  As an alumnus and
employee of the University of Idaho, I look for our university to prosper
and to furnish our world with tomorrow's leaders in a multitude of
disciplines.  I am hopeful that when the football season begins, that we all
can appreciate what we have and indulge in optimistic anticipation for our
university's future.

Until then . . .

Take care of yourselves and each other.

UI '96

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of
hope."

Robert F. Kennedy
(1925-1968, American Attorney General, Senator)