[Vision2020] Safe and Healthy Workplace

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt at moscow.com
Tue May 24 15:53:52 PDT 2005

I was one of those disgusting people who smoked and did so for 40 years. I
stopped about 6 or 7 years ago with a lot of very determined effort and have
slight tinge of guilt about all the people who I inadvertently blew smoke on
all those years. Now some states have eliminated smoking in restaurants and
many other places and I am very thankful for that.

I must disagree with your blog where you state:  "However, the obvious
questions is whether or not it's the role of government is to guard us from
ourselves while infringing on the property rights of its citizens."
I must disagree with you and will say that many people do not know what is
good for them. Someone does not have the right to smoke in my "space" and
subject me to second hand smoke! The government needs to demand people to
wear their seat belts, wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle, don't burn
grass when it is dry and windy, and don't drive a vehicle on the road when
your alcohol level is .08 or higher. I'm beginning to believe that about 30%
or more of the American people are too stupid to know these things.

I was on a city council many years ago and we had some ass hole in the city
who would burn his garbage and he always did it in the summer when neighbors
had their windows open. (Back in those days it was allowed to burn papers
and burnable trash rather that put it in the landfill) The neighbors would
complain to the police, the police would go and talk to him and then it
would happen again. Finally after this neighbor had enough and came to a
city council meeting one evening with his story we voted that night to
eliminate all burning in the city. This was back in the middle 60s and our
action surprised a lot of people and I almost felt like a Hitler preventing
people from doing what they had been doing for many years but one ass hole
caused the whole problem. We were on the leading edge of the EPA "stuff" and
soon learned that what we did at the time was on the front edge of cutting
air pollution. I didn't feel quite so much like Hitler anymore.

Dick Schmidt