[Vision2020] Primary Function of Downtown is not Business, but People

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 18:43:22 PDT 2005

I must disagree with the people that say that Downtown
Moscow is for business and profit. I think it is for
people.

If it were just for business and profit we would not
allow government buildings and non-profit
organizations downtown. Nor would we allow apartments,
government stations and offices, and have a big park,
oddly enough, named Friendship Square.

The reason for the diversity of businesses and
entities  downtown is to attempt to bring together as
many diverse groups of people as we can downtown to
mingle and communicate that would otherwise not meet
in their daily lives.

If property tax income for the city is the goal there
are other areas besides NSA that can bring in more
money and resources.

The Police Station, the Fire Station, all the
disability services, and housing could be moved
elsewhere to make room for more profitable businesses.

But honestly, I think we all know this is not about
the law, paying taxes, making downtown more busy, or
any issue of that nature. The true reason for the
zoning complaint is to remove NSA from the community.

That is why I am opposed to the removal of NSA. If the
City Council decided, along with all the citizens of
Moscow, that we wanted to have a strict enforcement of
the current zoning code laws, and applied it to all
the businesses, I would agree with this decision. But
discriminatory application and enforcement of the
zoning code is discrimination.

This is about shutting down NSA and denying their
right to exist, nothing else.

It does not matter where NSA moves to next if forced
to move, they will always be in violation of some law
or another because NSA does not fit any of Moscow's
zoning codes and the City Council will not allow them
existence in any decent place where someone would want
an education.

While I do not agree with Christ Church on religious
matters, I do believe in the First Amendment, and I do
believe that the peoples of NSA and Christ Church have
a right to practice their faith, whatever it may be,
without harassment by members of the community or
government interference. I want this right not just
for them, I want it for everyone. I want a Gay church
to have this right, a Catholic church, a Mormon
church, Jehovah Witness, Muslims, a Jewish church,
anyone and everyone deserves this basic right no
matter how whacked out, messed up, offensive, or
bizarre those religious beliefs may seem to the
community standard of NORMAL.
I believe in the First Amendment. I do not believe in
it just when it suites me, or suites a group I like, I
believe in it at all times. The amendment was not
placed their to protect the popular religions and
ideas, they do not need protection. It was placed
there to protect the unpopular ideas, beliefs and
religions. People in the past that shared your
religion, faith, or lack thereof, were at some time,
some place, by someone, targeted and discriminated
against. Be not like them.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold