[Vision2020] Anti smoking petition

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 16:48:26 PDT 2005

I use to smoke two to three packs a day for almost 12
years. I hate cigarette companies. I think they are
evil, and they should be forced to operate underground
like all the other drug dealers that prey on the
young.

But I am curious why they want to ban smoking in
certain places like fast food restaurants and bars?

If someone is concerned about their health, why would
they be in a fast food restaurant or a bar? If they
are actually in the restaurant enough to get cancer
from second hand smoke they would probably die from
clogged arteries beforehand. If they are in a bar
enough to get cancer from second hand smoke they are
probably going to die of something else sooner.

What is the point? I want smoking in these places
because it keeps people from frequenting them. I think
it is a good thing to encourage people not to go to
the bars and fast food restaurants everyday.

I also fail to understand why people are pushing for
smoke free bars? Why not ban music, dancing and
alcohol too? That is what a bar is, a smoke filled,
loud, noisy room with a bunch of drunk people dancing
or trying to go to home with someone they just met.
The drinking, and unprotected sex with strangers is
going to kill you long before second hand smoke will.

Now I know what some of you are thinking. "Donovan,
not everyone goes to a bar to have sex, dance, and
have a smoke. Some just want to dance, socialize, and
relax without having that damn smoke in their face."
You are right. I agree, SOME people that go to bars do
that. However, there are plenty of bars and other
places where they can already do this. There is
currently NO law that prevents a bar from being a
smoke free establishment. There is no law forcing
people to attend smoke filled bars. You do not need to
go to a bar in order to survive. Children cannot enter
a bar, so no issue here either.

So why take the free choice of law abiding, hard
working Americans to smoke in an establishment that
you do not have to attend? Why legally deny them of
this right?

The sole bases or this law seems to be that IF if a
non-smoker wants to attend a bar they can without the
smoke. But this assumption is WRONG. By banning these
places people are going to be smoking outside EVERY
bar and EVERYWHERE else. I see it already. When you
are walking down the street you have to inhale the
smoke. I would rather have them in the bar, so I do
not have to inhale the smoke. Banning smoking
everywhere is like banning toilets everywhere. People
are going to do it anyway, you might as well restrain
it and make it as safe as possible by making
designated places that you can avoid. No places to
smoke inside means they will smoke everywhere outside
at random where I cannot avoid the smoke.

Why not ban music from bars too? That loud music has
pr oven to damage the eardrum permanently. Why not ban
drinking, that kills people? And intoxicated people
can be just as annoying as second hand smoke,
especially when they puke in your car. Oh, and
definitely ban unprotected sex with a stranger. On
second thought, let us just ban bars and drinking
altogether if we are out to stop harm to innocent
people.

But, really, if people really want to tackle smoking,
why not make them only available in liquor stores, be
21 or older, charge $6 a pack, and only allow them to
smoke in their own homes, and give them free
counseling and quitting smoking assistance.

BUT PLEASE do not make more laws that make smokers
smoke everywhere I go walking down the street, keep
them indoors in places I can avoid.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold (ex-smoker)