[Vision2020] Alternative School

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Fri May 20 23:09:38 PDT 2005

Mr. Merkle:
Doggone my hypocrisy--i went out of town and didn't jump right on
this.  But as best I can answer from Phoenix at 11 pm on a Friday
night:
I didn't bring my copy of the zoning map with me, so I can't verify
what zone the alternative high school is in.  IF it's in a
Neighborhood Business zone, then it is not permitted, it is
prohibited, a complaint against it should be sustained, and the
school would have to go through the public hearing process toask to
have the code amended if it wants to continue legally.  And they
probably shouldn't spend all their time whining and pointing fingers
at the folks who file the complaint and ask what their motives are
and saying how they are being attacked.  The law is pretty clear.
They should read the law and follow the law--request to change the
law if necessary.  Yes, Mr. Merkle, I do think the rules are the same
for everyone as they are applied to similar situations.

As to a challenge to the alternative school, I have not been hired by
either side to represent them in such a matter, so I don't have a
position for or against such a challenge.

Mike Curley