FW: Re: [Vision2020] RE: Tax Base?

melyndahuskey at earthlink.net melyndahuskey at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 19:50:30 PDT 2005

 Kai writes:

 "As with Joan, read the definition of "school". Whether a school is for
 profit or not is irrelevant."

 Actually, what's irrelevant here is what the dictionary says.  (And what I
say, and what you say . . .)  The code is a technical document interpreted
by governmental agencies and the courts, and it's *their* definitions that
matter.

 I'd agree with you, Kai, that the history of ethnic enclaves in the U.S.
is perhaps less important to this discussion than other points of
contention, and so I'd like to encourage you to engage with another part of
it:  there are plenty of Christians--as well as others--in this town who'd
like to see the multifarious enterprises associated with Christ
Church--their college; their schools, both downtown and in people's homes;
and their boarding houses, particularly those which house four or five
students and their cars in neighborhoods with limited parking, comply with
the law.  We'd also like to see everybody pay their share of property tax,
and not use religion as an excuse to get out of their obligations to our
town.  Good neighbors aren't just "clean-cut" and attractive:  they
shoulder their fair share of the common burdens of citizenship.

 Some of us wish that were the case with NSA, with the Nuart, with Atlas
School and St. Monica's, with those boarding houses.  We don't wish for
that because we hate Christians, or even members of Christ Church, despite
Doug Wilson's assertions, and yours.  And there's a certain irony in you
asking for evidence from somebody else when you've made such a whoppingly
unsupported statement about the motives of the folks filing the claim and
the motives of the folks who think it's reasonable to expect everybody to
comply with the law.

Melynda Huskey