[Vision2020] Response to Kai

Timothy Rigsby timo5277 at uidaho.edu
Thu May 19 10:17:34 PDT 2005

Kai:

Yes Mr. Leons and the two Massage Schools, I think there are still two anyway, are
downtown.  Yes they are schools as well.  The city code allows for those two or three
schools to be downtown because the city code states that Commercial Schools are
permissible.  The city code goes on to define commercial schools and includes art
schools, trade schools, and a few other types.  Mr. Leons and the School of Massage
would fall under the trade school category I believe, but NSA would not qualify.  If
NSA were a seminary school, much like GreyFriars, then I would assume that they would
be welcome as well.  But since NSA is a liberal arts college, then they are prohibited
from being downtown.

I do not have the code in front of me or else I would cite specific sections that would
further support my explanation.  I also am not a lawyer, but a PE major at UI with a
minor in Kick Ball, according to Dougie boy anyway.

Kai, I would suggest that you look at Mike Curley's website dealing with the zoning
issues and check out the link on Questions.  Also, Donovan and others have posted
specific city code on earlier posts that help define the different types of schools
that are permissible.  If I had more time in the day I would be happy to post them
again.

I hope that helps people that asked the same questions in public but not on this forum.

Tim Rigsby
Kick Ball Minor, UI aka Government School