[Vision2020] Answer to Ms. Gray's Question

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 16:46:44 PDT 2005

Debbie,

You asked, "I'm all for "free" transportation for
those who need it but how fair is it for me to pay to
park and also pay (a percentage of my permit fee) for
other people to ride free??"

I asked Dan Schoenberg when he was Director of
Auxiliary services, UI Parking was under his domain,
this same question.

He told me that the reason that there is a fee on the
parking permit was because if we did not have all
those students and UI employees riding the bus and
instead parking we would have had to built more
parking. Almost 100% of parking construction has to be
covered through parking permits and coin meters. There
is little state funds for parking.

So by paying that fee we help the community, save on
having to pay more money on parking construction, and
we have free access to a bus system that will take us
all over town and even Pullman. I think he made the
correct decision.

Also, I believe, but I could be incorrect, part of the
grant to fund the Wheatland Express limits the ability
for them to charge. But I am uncertain how that works
or if there is away around that.

Even though I do not ride the bus, I support the
system because I know the many people that depend on
it often have limited transportation options and it
reduces traffic so I get to where I want to go more
quickly.

As I am sure you may already know, if a bus system was
expected to support itself, buses would not exist.
Public dollars usually subsidize them because the
traffic problems, construction, and other problems
would cost even more without them.

Bummer about the bus being kicked out of the parking
lot. That is a bad break for those riders. Maybe they
can buy a car instead from one of those dealers? Just
kidding.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

--- Debbie Gray <dgdgdgrayiuidahodeduwrote
> This is just related to parking/free bus routes...
>
> I recently noticed in the blurb in the weekly
UIUIUInewsletter
> Register that campus parking permits are going up
> and that part
> of their expenses will be for lot maintenance, etc
> but also they
> contribute quite a chunk to the free bus route, now
> I'm all for
> "free" transportation for those who need it but how
> fair is it
> for me to pay to park and also pay (a percentage of
> my permit
> fee) for other people to ride free??  And on the
> same note, I
> don't think it is unreasonable for the mall to ask
> for pepepepole> who park there on a regular basis to
pay a small