[Vision2020] Approved, Accreditated, Whatever

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 15:33:31 PDT 2005

AGAIN - when you talk about accreditation vs. not being accreditated, you
have to take into consideration the school's public vs. private status.

I know I, for one, have stated several times as have others...the State
can/does certifiy and accreditate PUBLIC schools that receive PUBLIC monies.

NSA is PRIVATE and receives PRIVATE monies.  NSA can, by SOBE rules, ask to
be accreditated by the State of Idaho, but it is NOT required to do so.
This in no way prohibits it from being called an educational facility.  Fact
is, the State DOES recognize that NSA is a college.  NOT a State of Idaho
accreditated college, but a college none the less.  IT HAS A CERTIFICATE OF
APPROVAL - sheesh!

NSA can/has submit(ed) a request to an accreditation organization that
allows them to follow their format for teaching and philosophy - which,
if/when approved by TRACS, would allow NSA to say "we are an accreditated
insitution under TRACS."

No where in the state statutes does it say that the State of Idaho HAS to
approve of the accreditation orginization.  However, if it is not one that
UI, for instance, recognizes as being legitimate or up to their standards,
UI can choose not to allow credits earned at NSA to transfer, should a
student decide to enroll.  This happens even with homeschooling, private
high schools, etc.  The same is true for a student enrolling in any school
in the country...some credits transfer as they are compatible with the new
school's program requirements and some don't.

Regarding the Nursing program at LSCS  (http://www.lcsc.edu/nurdiv/):

Bachelor Of Science In Nursing:

" Established in 1979, the program is accredited by the Commission on
Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and approved by the Idaho State Board of
Nursing. "

Practical Nursing:

"The Practical Nursing Program at Lewis-Clark State College is a new program
and is the first practical nursing program in the state of Idaho that
students graduate with an Associate of Applied Science Degree... Established
in 2003, the program is approved by the Idaho State Board of Nursing and the
Idaho State Board of Education. The program will be applying for
accreditation through the National League of Nursing. "

Frankly, I believe as the same things are being said over and over, this
topic may very well have spent itself.

Shall we move on?

Thank you.