[Vision2020] Question for Mr. Ament and Mr. Curley

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 19:48:46 PDT 2005

Mr. Curley,

Thank you for your in depth response to my email, your
involvement in the community, and your email informing
us of the BOA meeting. However, I think you
misunderstand what I was saying, so please allow me to
clarify.

I would like to start forward, instead of backwards.


Moscow City Code defines an educational institution as
such, MCC 4-11-9(47)
“.Institution, Educational. A college or university
supported by public or private funds, tuitions,
contributions or endowments, giving advanced academic
instructions as approved by the State Board of
Education or by a recognized accrediting agency,
excluding preschool, elementary and junior or senior
high schools, and trade and commercial schools;
including fraternity and sorority houses.”

NSA is not an accredited college. Therefore it cannot
be called an "educational institution" because that is
required according to the law and city code. You based
your argument on this. This is a factual legal error.

Second, even if Mr. Dickison, Joe Plaskon, Aunt
Jamima, and Jesus Christ himself all agreed NSA was an
educational institution, which none of them did to the
effect they were according to city code, that would
not make it an accredited college. Mr. Dickison said
that NSA was NOT an accredited intuition as DEFINED by
city code. Plaskon did not comment on the legality of
this point. Even if he had, to the effect that he
agreed with your argument, does not legally validate
your point because the law, or city code, states the
contrary. In addition, if you wish to say that Joe
Plaskon is the valid authority of the law on this
issue, as your referenced him as being, then why are
you arguing against his decision on this issue?
Further, the accreditation that NSA is seeking is not
an accrediting agency recognized by the city code. So
that has no legal merit on the case or your argument
regarding potential future accreditation.

Now as to your second point, you wrote,

"If that is the case, then they are prohibited
downtown. Because they are not a listed use--an
'unaccredited college.'"

First, there is no such thing as an "unaccredited
college" according Moscow City Code. This a term you
are making up. If not, please provide a link or code
number.

Second, NSA does fit the definition of a
commercial/trade school which IS expressly PERMITTED
in the downtown commercial zone.

“School, Commercial. A program whereby instruction is
given to pupils in arts, crafts or trades and operated
as a commercial enterprise.” That is the exact and
complete definition.
(Ord. 99-38, 12/20/99)”

NSA does fit this definition, from a legal standpoint.
NSA does offer programs in instruction in the arts. It
is also operated as a “commercial enterprise”
according to city code,

 “Commercial Use. An activity maintaining a display of
goods, merchandise or services, for sale or involving
a rental fee.” MCC § 11-9(21) This is the exact and
complete definition.

NSA does offer and maintain services for sale,
education in the arts.

“As to the other issue you raised, Mr. Dickison's time
was not limited at all.”

And

 “Mr. Dickison was in no way limited from making any
legal argument he wanted to make.”

Yes, he was. He was limited to the comments he could
make and he was not allowed a rebuttal to your
remarks. I think if one side gets a rebuttal, so
should the other. Also, doesn’t the accused usually
get the last word anyway, not the plaintiff?

“Mr. Ament noted below that the chair on several
occasions had to ask Mr. Dickison to refrain from
attacking the complainants personally and to stick to
the law.”

 I do not recall Mr. Dickison making personal comments
about Joseph Hansen. In fact, I do not recall him
mentioning Mr. Hansen or any of the other two
plaintiffs by name at all. I do recall him questioning
the motives to the case. This is a concern for many
people, including myself. Are they after just NSA? Or
are they going to go after all organizations downtown
that do not perfectly fit the definitions in a
commercial business zone?

As to the legality, there was no violation of law to
bring up motive. This was something that two members
of the board decided, for this case only, to limit the
arguments to what they wanted to hear.

So again I ask, when did NSA get accreditation?

And why do you ignore the fact that NSA fits the legal
definition of a “trade/commercial school” as defined
by Moscow City Code?

I look forward to your response. Thanks for responses
Mr. Curley, I appreciate it!

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

=== message truncated ===