[Vision2020] Question for Mr. Ament and Mr. Curley

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Fri May 13 16:05:01 PDT 2005

Donovan:
Let me start a little backwards perhaps by assuming that NSA is not
accredited.  If that is the case, then they are prohibited downtown.
Because they are not a listed use--an "unaccredited college."

As you recall from the discussion last night, the city code says that
if a "use" (meaning simply, what kind of work or activity is done in
the building) is not specified as permitted, it is prohibited.  So,
whatever NSA is that is not a college, they are prohibited.

No one--not Mr. Dickison or Mr. Plaskon or anyone else on behalf of
NSA came forward to say "we are not an educational institution--not a
college."  In fact, you recall that Mr. Dickison quoted a letter he
had previously written to Mr. Plaskon wherein Mr. D said:  "From the
naure of New St. Andrews College, the most readily appliocable
definition under the zoning code is "Institution, Educational" found
at MCC 4-11-9(47):. . .

Also, you will remember that there was an exhibit introduced that
showed that when a previous complaint was filed against New Saint
Andrews for illegally operating in a residential area in violation of
the zoning code, Mr. Plaskon himself determined that NSA was an
educational institution--and NSA did not deny that it was.

So, that just wasn't an issue at the hearing and never has been
during the course of the discussions on the current issue.

I believe that Mr. Dickison also indicated that NSA has been pursuing
accreditation through the Transnational Association of Christian
Colleges and Schools and that they have a sort of temporary or
pending status in that process.

Now, whether that would qualify them in an ultra-technical and wooden
reading of the ordinance (as the appellants were accused of doing by
Mr. Dickison), I don't know. For example, if NSA isn't an educational
institution, are they prohibited everywhere in town--or would they
get to apply for a conditional use permit in the areas where
educational institutions are actually allowed?  I think that is the
very type of area where Mr. Plaskon could, should, and would exercise
his "reasonable discretion" (as the code allows in that circumstance)
and find that, sure, NSA is covered by the educational institution
definition even though they may not be "hypertechnically."

As to the other issue you raised, Mr. Dickison's time was not limited
at all.  He was only limited by the chair to the same extent the
chair said at the beginning of the hearing that it would limit
everyone's comments--they had to be relevant.  The chair, the entire
Board, and the City Attorney had all previously agreed that
"intentions" were not an issue and were not relevant to the
discussion.  Mr. Ament noted below that the chair on several
occasions had to ask Mr. Dickison to refrain from  attacking the
complainants personally and to stick to the law.  Mr. Dickison was in
no way limited from making any legal argument he wanted to make.  He
was never told there was a time limit.  He was asked to "sum up" when
he stopped making legal arguments and continued to try to denigrate
the individuals personally.

Thank you for your questions.  It was good to see you last night
after so many "conversations" on this listserve.

Mike Curley