[Vision2020] County Groundwater Land Use Ordinance

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu May 12 20:34:39 PDT 2005

The following press release is from the Latah County Dept. of
Planning and Building announcing the public availability of the draft
Moscow Sub-basin Groundwater Management Overlay Zone ordinance. Both
Dan Carscallen and myself were part of the drafting effort which
miraculously achieved consensus. I can't speak for others on the
taskforce but I am proud enough of its content that I'm willing to
discuss it with any groups out there that wish to learn more.
msolomon at moscow.com is the best way to track me down.

Mark Solomon
*********************

On March 2, 2005, the Latah County Board of Commissioners adopted an
emergency land use ordinance titled "Moscow Sub-basin Groundwater Management
Overlay Zone".  This ordinance was put in place to try to address,
temporarily, some of the groundwater issues that this region has been
experiencing.  Following the adoption of this emergency ordinance, the Board
appointed a 7 member taskforce, representing a variety of backgrounds and
interests, to develop a permanent ordinance.

This taskforce has now formulated a rough pre-draft of the ordinance and
would like to receive public comment on this draft before writing a final
draft that will be forwarded to the Planning Commission and, eventually, the
Board of County Commissioners for public hearings.

The rough pre-draft of the ordinance, the associated map, and the original
emergency ordinance can be viewed on the internet on the Latah County
web-site at http://www.latah.id.us/  or by contacting the Latah County
Planning Department.

To submit comments, send an e-mail to pb at latah.id.us or write to the task
force at:  Latah County Taskforce, Department of Planning and Building, P.O.
Box 8068, Moscow, Idaho, 83843.  If you have questions, contact the Planning
and Building Department at 883-7220.  Comments from the public are welcome
at anytime, however, submission of comments prior to June 13th, 2005 would
be very helpful in the development of this ordinance.

The next scheduled meeting for the taskforce is Monday, June 13th, 2005, in
Room 2-B of the Latah County Courthouse, 522 S. Adams, Moscow, Idaho.