[Vision2020] Mis Management AGAIN!

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Mon May 9 13:03:06 PDT 2005

Phil:

Just because you say so doesn't mean that this particular research
should have been done or should now be done.  But, I'm pretty
confident that if you followed the suggestions given, you would get a
reasonably reliable number.  One appraisal would not necessarily give
you any better because EACH landowner would be entitled to submit
evidence from his/her/their own appraiser if emminent domain were
exercised.

I don't know what's in every building off the top of my head, but I
do remember there are at least two law offices, one insurance
business building and at least one apartment building.  I've been
inside several of them, but regardless, the condition may not be as
important as the location.  Any lot in the downtown business area
(such as these) has more value than, say, the average lot of the same
size in a residential area of town.  The landowners get paid
according the "highest and best use" of the property.  What to you
think the block is worth off the top of your head?  Do you think it's
possible that it's worth less than $1 Million?  I sure don't see any
way.  $2M?  $5M?  Whatever, the comparative cost of the vacant ground
the district was looking at (in various locations, not just the
Trails) was under $500,000.  I don't recall the details of the
Trails' offer, but wasn't it substantially cheaper than even $500k?

Doesn't seem to me like this is an area where the District or FPC
mismanaged anything, but I understand that's your interpretation, so
maybe we'll just disagree on this one.

Mike

PS:  Maybe all the folks on Jefferson would donate part of their
property or give the District a reduced price, but I won't hold my
breath while you go ask them.