[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (May 6, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 6 05:30:52 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (May 6, 2005) UI Friday Letter from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends May 6, 2005

Dear Friends,

We are nearing the end of the academic year, and students and faculty alike
are preparing for finals next week. Like the members of our freshman class,
I too am completing my first year at the University, and it seems an
appropriate time to reflect on some of the accomplishments of the last year.

* We produced a strategic vision and roadmap for the future of the
University of Idaho through the Plan for Renewal of People, Programs and
Place.
* We established fiscal responsibility in a balanced budget for next year,
and a multi-year plan to resolve the accumulated deficit.
* We dedicated the Living and Learning Community, a new student residence
that integrates innovative and unique academic features into campus life.
* We are now celebrating the accomplishments of the largest graduating class
in the University's history. Commencement ceremonies began last night in
Idaho Falls and continue tonight in Boise and Monday evening in Coeur
d'Alene. The UI-Moscow ceremony is next Saturday, May 14.

I want to thank faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends for their
wonderful support and dedication to the University and for helping Karen and
I learn of the University and state. You have provided much of the
inspiration during our first year as first family of this great, vital and
enduring institution.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

* UI alumna Madge Brown passed away April 24. Madge and her husband, Bud,
ran The Perch restaurant - later The Perch Grocery -- on University Ave.
For more than 40 years, she was known by UI students, faculty and staff as
"Queen of the Perch." She dished out advice, gave Tootsie Rolls as change,
and helped hundreds of college students stay in school and graduate. Madge
left The Perch in 1985 to live with her daughter, first in Kirkland, Wash.,
and later, Sandpoint. Memorial gifts may be made online at
www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho or mailed to the UI Foundation, PO Box 443147,
Moscow, ID 83844-3147.

* Terry Triplett, a UI computer science major and Navy ROTC midshipman from
Louisville, Ky., received the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics
award, designating him as the nation's top graduating midshipman in
electrical engineering or communications sciences. He is the first UI
student to earn the award.

* Stan Desjardins '58 and June Rudyk have presented the Junior Engineering,
Mathematics and Science (JEMS) Summer Workshop with a gift of $30,000 for
scholarships and program development. For 38 years, the UI College of
Engineering has hosted JEMS to provide students with an introduction to
engineering. Each year, the program seeks 30 female and 30 male high school
students who have completed their junior year to attend the two-week
workshop on the Moscow campus. JEMS serves as one of the main recruitment
tools for the College of Engineering and continues to be supported by many
prestigious companies and individuals.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy