[Vision2020] PC When it Comes to a Disability

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 10:06:30 PDT 2005

Mr. Rigsby,

Do you actually read people's arguments before writing
a response?

I am very familiar with IEP's Mr. Rigsby.

The name of the IEP file is not "Person in a wheel
chair". It is Kate, or Billy, or John, or Suzi.

Nor are the terms used in them say, "the guy in the
wheelchair should practice reading for 15 minutes a
day."

Most people with a disability have more then one. So
99.9% of IEPs DO NOT refer to someone by their
disability or medical diagnosis. That is false
information you are stating their Mr. Rigsby. IEPs do
state that a person has a particular disorder.
However, it does not say "the schizophrenic" 100 times
throughout the IEP in place of their name.

Your write,
"The deaf student OR The student with a hearing
> impairment
> The blind student OR The student with a visual
> impairment
> The slow student OR The student with a cognitive
> disorder
> The hyper student OR The student with ADHD
> The leg-less student OR The student who is
> wheelchair bound"

You misunderstand. You do not say either. You say,
"John, who is wheelchair bound, will work on leg
exercises to prevent atrophy etc". You never refer to
an individual as a disability. Ask Terry, Olsen,
O'Dell, or Doty, They will confirm this for you Tim.

"The student who is wheelchair bound" is not what you
say to a person. If you are teaching a student with
disabilities and refer to him or her as "The student
who is wheelchair bound" in front of other people you
will be approached by others about it, and you will
offend that person.

I know you have taken some courses Tim in Special
Education because you are going to be teaching PE to
students in the future that will have some physical
challenges. However, I really hope that as you refer
to all the other kids by their name, you treat those
in your class with a disability the same by using
their name. If you use "The student who is wheelchair
bound", and not  their name you will hurt that child's
self-esteem and be considered a prick by many others.

"The student who is wheelchair bound" would only be
appropriate if it were said in instruction on how to
assist a person in a wheel chair. It is never to be
used in place of or as a substitute for a person's
name.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

--- Timothy Rigsby <timo5277 at uidaho.edu> wrote:
> Donovan:
>
> Again I am going to disagree with you on the
> "labeling" of special populations.
>
> Individuals with disabilities (IWD) may not like to
> be refered to as the person in the
> wheel chair, but when describing an IWD in an IEP,
> that person is described 99.9% of the
> time by their disability.  Yes, it is far better to
> call someone by their birth name
> however, when it comes to planning and implementing
> programs for an IWD, they are
> pretty much always refered to as the student with a
> hearing impairment or the student
> with a visual impairment.
>
> So to answer your claim that it is inapropriate to
> refer to and IWD by their
> disability, I think you may want to pay more
> attention in your special ed classes.
>
> Lets take a look at these different disabilities and
> you tell me which sounds better:
>
> The deaf student OR The student with a hearing
> impairment
> The blind student OR The student with a visual
> impairment
> The slow student OR The student with a cognitive
> disorder
> The hyper student OR The student with ADHD
> The leg-less student OR The student who is
> wheelchair bound
>
> These are just a few examples of what is acceptable
> in Special Education circles to
> describe IWD students.
>
> But what do I know, I play kickball!

>  List services made available by First Step