[Vision2020] Re: Schizophrenic

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 08:25:48 PDT 2005

Ms. Kraut,

I am afraid you are missing the argument being made
here. I am not talking about THE terms used to
describe people. What I am talking about is referring
to people by their disability or a problem that they
have.

Just as people do not like to be referred to by their
color of their hair, people with disabilities do not
like to be referred to by their disability.

If someone is in a wheel chair they do not like it
when people refer to them as the wheelchair person, or
the person with no legs, or the lady that cannot walk.
No, they, like you and me, liked to be called by their
name. People do not like to be referred to and defined
by their problems, disabilities, or a situation that
they are in. Reducing people and defining people to
their problems is insulting and disrespectful.

Referring to everybody by their name except people
with a disability is a form of social exclusion.

People are not their hair color, weight, skin color,
problems and disabilities. People are more then this.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

=== message truncated ===

Yahoo! Mail