[Vision2020] Re: Subs and others

Melynda Huskey melyndahuskey at earthlink.net
Wed May 4 12:25:11 PDT 2005

I'm not getting all the messages sent by Vision 2020 (by choice, and I recommend the bozo filter to everyone as an easy way to reduce traffic in the over-burdened In box), but I do want to chime in on this debate just a bit further.

Does the analysis I applied to Professor Wenders' salary really reflect his work or his rate of pay?  Of course not.  That was my point.  Professor Wenders' analysis did not reflect accurately the work or rate of pay for teachers in our district; he chose a method of examining salaries which would provide the results he was looking for.  So did I.  It would be foolish to make public policy on the basis of either analysis, or to presume that either was without political and rhetorical intent.

Good professors work hard; they teach, do research, serve on committees, and do community outreach and service.  They don't always have teaching or research assistants (I never did).  They certainly don't all get teaching loads of one course a semester; I always taught 3 and 3, plus summer school, and so did many of my colleagues.  My frivolous analysis was intended not to indict hard-working scholars and teachers, among whom I have been honored to be counted, but to take Prof. Wenders to task for his uncivil behavior toward honest, hard-working, decent employees of the school district.

Melynda Huskey
(If anybody's wondering, my Ph.D is in English from Ohio State University.)