[Vision2020] Due Tribute

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue May 3 20:09:46 PDT 2005

Mr. Arnold stated:

"All this talent of yours and you WASTE it on a $7 an
hour job working for the University. Surely somebody
out there has to find you as funny and talented as you
find yourself."

Correction, Mr. Arnold.  I am a part-time IH working at UI Facilities for
$10 per hour.

Yes.  I have a degree in Management Information Systems.  I have found
several jobs that I more than qualify for that pay well beyond $10 per hour.
But, they entail leaving the University of Idaho.  I am happy working (even
if it is part-time) for my alma mater.

I will grant you that if I was not collecting retirement from the Army, I
would have "jumped ship" a long time ago for greener pastures, but that is a
matter of surviving.

The bottom line, and what everybody in the world is pursuing, Mr. Arnold, is
happiness and comfort.  From the loneliest homeless, mentally challenged
drug addict on the streets to Bill Gates - we are all chasing the same
dream, to be happy and comfortable.

Some people feel that they must put a price tag on that dream.  I don't.  As
long as I and my wife are happy and comfortable with our lives and our
future, anything beyond that amounts to nothing more than surplus pleasures
that come and go.

So, to respond (in finality) to your comment, Mr. Arnold, I appreciate that
you refer to my abilities as "talent", but I am not wasting them.  I prefer
sharing over owning, giving over taking, and comfort over pleasure.

I am certain that some day you will come to understand this.

Until then . . .

Take care of yourselves and each other.

Tom "Never Confuse Weird With Different" Hansen