[Spam] RE: [Vision2020] Fact or Fiction3

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Tue May 3 10:17:07 PDT 2005

Phil:

The other "possible" sites were on north highway 95, in the area
southwest of highway 95 and Palouse River Drive, near the UI tree
farm, and near Alturas, as best I recall.  Around the 2001-2002 time
frame there was much research done on available sites, costs,
willingness of owners to sell at a reasonable price or donate part of
the land, etc.  And there was always that question--do we as a
committee settle on one spot and submit the bond to voters tied to
that site, or do we give them a "pie-in-the-sky" high school project
with no identified site?  That's a tough question.  What made the
most sense to ME at the time was a two-step process wherein the bond
issue was submitted to voters NOT tied to a specific spot--especially
since there was an issue about rebuilding on the exisiting site.  And
then, if approved, there would be discussion of several possible
sites--and who knew--maybe a community member would come forward
AFTER the bond passed to make an offer we (the whole community)
couldn't refuse.  But, I did favor having at least one place to point
to so we could say to voters "it COULD be built there if you approve
the bond and like that site, but we are not COMMITTED to it."
And that is ultimately what happened, although I had absolutely
nothing to do with that decision, nor was i even consulted for an
opinion.  But I could have gone to the committee meetings, I could
have attended the open houses, I could have attended the board
meetings, and I could have just written to them to provide my input.

Mike