[Vision2020] Charter Schools and Annualized Salaries . . . again

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 07:17:03 PDT 2005

<melyndahuskey at earthlink.net> wrote:

"Prof. Wenders earned about $43,000 per year.
Professorial time is
> generally calculated at 9 hours a week per class.
> Prof. Wenders, if my research is correct, taught one
> class per year, which puts his hourly rate of pay at
> $263.80.  Annualized to 2080 hours per year--what
> most of the rest of us work, and what he could have
> worked if he'd chosen to, according to his own and
> the Cato Institute's logic--that puts him at
> $548,711.65."

Not speaking on behave of Professor Wenders, but he
worked probably about about 40-60 hours a week
considering that he was on many University Committees
and did research outside of the classroom.

Professors make far more for the University in
research grants through federal, state, and private
companies then their salaried. If they do not, the
University gets rid of them.

An associate professor the University of Idaho with 12
years of college is expected to make many times their
salary in grant work and they make less then what an
entry level secondary school teachers makes in the
MSD.

Lectures at UI have at least a master's degree. They
make only a few thousand dollars per class. Many of
these classes can have over 100 students.

I find it profoundly ignorant and insulting to the
lectures and professors at the University of Idaho to
assume all they do is the work in the classroom. Do
you really think it only takes 6 hours to prepare for
a three hour class, grade papers, and answer 100
questions from students? For each class. 9 hours a
week? Get real!

I am not going to argue whether the wages at the MSD
are high enough. I do not know if you can put a dollar
value on somethings like education, police and fire
protection, military, and medical services. There is
not enough money in the world to pay the REAL value of
those services. They are invaluable to society. But
there is a limited amount of resources.

However, I do know that a high school educated
teacher's aide at entry level in the MSD makes more
than a five year lecturer at UI with a master's. So
you can imagine who my sympathizes are with.

I also think it is unfortunate that you think just
because someone is a janitor they are not smart enough
to be a teacher. I know many smart janitors with a
bachelor's degrees and are very good with people. In
the state of Idaho all you need to teach as an
"emergency" substitute teacher is a bachelor's degree
and pass the background check. Many janitors around
here meet those requirements. They are not just a
bunch Idaho hillbilly rednecks that only know how to
push a mop.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold