[Vision2020] "U of I departments to pay more to cover debt while athletics not taxed"

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 30 14:51:08 PST 2005

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7338015/

U of I departments to pay more to cover debt while athletics not taxed

KHQ-TV

MOSCOW, ID...USA - Academic departments at the University of Idaho are
paying a higher percent in administrative fees to help the university
diminish its multi-million dollar debt.(AP) -- Their fees rose from five to
six percent. That's expected to give the school $2 million a year.

Meanwhile the athletic department's fees are one percent, expected earnings
are about $43,000 annually.

Some staff, like Faculty Council chairman Jeff Bailey, say the staff worries
the difference may not be fair.

Bailey says departments have been forced to deal with smaller budgets and
now less staff. But athletics has come out unscathed.

Athletic director Rob Spear told the Faculty Council Tuesday that he would
be happy to pay what other departments do.But he says his department can't
afford to pay any more when sports is stepping up to the Western Athletic
Conference.