[Vision2020] Both faces of Tom Delay

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 11:42:33 PST 2005

We're way ahead of you Pat.  Living Wills - or Durable
Power of Attorney for Medical decisions - were already
signed, initialized, and notarized years ago in my
family.  Documents like these are all part of a basic
estate plan that everyone should have to avoid the
likes of Tom Delay imposing his conflicted beliefs on
you and your family for his political gain.

The paragraph that protects me and my family from Tom
Delay and his ilk is as follows:

"I do not want efforts made to prolong my life and I
do not want life-sustaining treatment to be provided
or continued: (1) if I am in an irreversible coma or
persistent vegetative state; or (2) if I am terminally
ill and the use of life-sustaining procedures would
serve only to artificially delay the moment of my
death; or (3) under any other circumstances where the
burdens of the treatment outweigh the expected
benefits.  In making decisions about life-sustaining
treatment under provision (3) above, I want my agent
to consider the relief of suffering and the quality of
my life, as well as the extent of the possible
prolongation of my life."

-Scott