[Vision2020] LCSO Drug Dog

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Fri Mar 25 14:18:54 PST 2005

Hi Jennie,

Oh, he is Cute!!!

I was going to chide you for sending a photo over the list--I am on straight
dial-up, so download times can be long.  But for a good looking dog, now
that is worth it!  Border collie/Lab is a perfect mix for this kind of work.
I hope they used positive reinforcement training because the dogs are more
mentally balanced when they do.

Will he live with his human officer/partner?  And do you have a retirement
plan for him?  I learned recently that many police department dogs are
euthanized when they get too old for service (but are still healthy), rather
than being given a humane and thankful retirement.  It seems really wrong to
me that they are thrown away like a worn out pair of shoes rather than being
given the retirement they deserve after years of loyal service.  Please make
sure that your department has developed a responsible plan for retirement or
decommissioning of canine officers.  The best approach is to allow the human
officer who has worked with this dog to adopt him upon retirement.  If that
person is not able to do so, then someone else trained in the handling of
detection or SAR dogs would be appropriate.   But you need a responsible
plan on the books *before* it is time to retire or decommission him.  And
you need to start a savings plan to cover his veterinary costs when he is
older or if he is injured on the job.  (If someone at the department wants
to talk with me about his, I am glad to do so).

You may have noticed, I am all about respect for the animals.....

JW