[Vision2020] The Genie Is Out Of The Bottle

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:50:25 PST 2005

Ted,

Your right, I have not planned for a post nuclear war in depth. I figure if
it happens, not much to plan for other than funeral arrangements. However, I
did study game theory for my degree in political science, studied foreign
policy, and grew up in an environment that was constantly engaged in the
what-ifs of a nuclear holocaust.

Game theory is where you study such scenarios of certain events and what you
would do in certain situations. There are few game theories that claim what
you are proposing, especially as it relates to Russia today, post cold war.

If, let us suppose, Russia was to cease to exist as a country as you
proposed. The 90% or more of their nuclear arsenal is invested in
submarines, not on land under the easy control of the government. If Russia
were to cease to exist, it would be more likely that the soldiers and
military would defect to another country and sell the submarine and nuclear
weapons to the highest bidder or a country they wished to reside in. Firing
a nuclear missiles at the US, or any country, for the sake of firing the
missile and dealing with the fact that you murdered millions of innocent
people for no cause or purpose and losing any chance of a future for
yourself and family seems like a horrible pointless decision. Compound that
fact with the situation that it would be a group effort to fire a missile.
Your choice would be to live freely as a millionaire in another country, or
as a mass murderer on a planet with nuclear fallout, probably as a fugitive
from most nations. What decision do you think the rational group would
choose?

You must also realize that there are more than just two countries in the
world. If the US, or any country were to attack another country the entire
rest of the world would move against them, and quickly. In most game
theories, if a country attacks another country for no conceivable reason,
the others will destroy that country for fear they will be next. So MAD is
an affirmative even if you are successful in eliminating your enemy without
them being able to fire a returning shot as you proposed it would not.

Starvation would not be a motivation either because the nuclear fallout
would ruin more fertile soil and further limit your food supply.

"You are wrong to think that if a small group of terrorists planned to
strike the USA with a stolen or stealthily built nuclear weapon that we
would have no target for retaliation.  We might pick the wrong target, but
what happened after 9/11?"

OK, let me rephrase that for you then. Retaliating would serve no purpose to
prevent future attacks, especially if it is against people that were not
responsible for the attack.

"But if Islamic terrorists knew that if they used a nuclear weapon against
the USA that we would, for example, wipe Iran and Mecca off the map, would
this not be some deterrent?"

First, how would you know who did it? There is not much evidence left over
when a nuclear bomb goes off. We are not going to drop a bomb on every
country we have a grudge with in the hopes we get the right people. Further,
what if the terrorists are from France, England, Russia, China, or Oklahoma?
Are you going to drop a nuclear bomb on London because 20 religious fanatics
from England got a hold of a bomb? I do not think so.

"Think ahead 100 years when the world may face ecological disasters, a huge
energy crisis with dwindling fossil fuels, a population of 15 billion,
potential mass starvation, etc., with numerous nations with nuclear arms."

I do not need to think 100 years ahead. This is already true today, except
the population is 6 point something billion people, you can say the same for
2005.

"But if Islamic terrorists knew that if they used a nuclear weapon against
the USA that we would, for example, wipe Iran and Mecca off the map, would
this not be some deterrent?"

We would not destroy Mecca, Israel is our ally. As for destroying Iran, that
might be the objective of the terrorists and you just did their bidding.

If a nuclear bomb just went off in New York tomorrow, then LA the next day,
and a small group of terrorists from Bangladesh or Pakistan claim
responsibility and the government states it will cooperate with you in their
capture, what do you do? This is where we have trouble. Russia has no reason
to destroy or attack the US, many small poor nations do.

The basic rule, in any game theory, is that those with the least to lose and
the most to gain take the most and biggest risks. Those with the most to
lose and the least to gain, take the least risks. So countries Germany,
Russia, and France will not attack the US, too much to lose and too little
to gain. While nations like Afghanistan have nothing to lose and a great
deal to gain by attacking the US. Like George Bush said the day after 9/11.
"I am not going to fire a $10 million missile to knock over a tent and hit a
camel in the butt."

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold