[Vision2020] The Genie Is Out Of The Bottle

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:35:53 PST 2005

Ted,

I did not mean Star Wars. I think that was just a rouse on behalf of Reagan
and Bush to scare China and the Soviet Union. It was not technologically
feasible to launch missiles from space at incoming nuclear warheads in 1985.
Even today, that would be prohibitively expensive. It is much cheaper and
more accurate to track them from satellites but shoot them down from Earth.

Let me address a few of your concerns and issues.

"best minds will tell you that we still do not have a workable antimissile
system that can completely stop a massive nuclear attack from Russia"

Like I said, I am not worried about a massive nuclear attack from Russia for
several reasons. The first being the obvious, any leaders of Russia that
launched an attack against the United States would be signing there own
death warrant and the death warrant of Russia. Someone so mentally ill as to
hate the United States so much that they would willing to annihilate all of
Russia would most likely either not be allowed to be in power, or would be
stopped by others in Russia that wished to see Russia survive, along with
their children, grandchildren, wife, mother etc. The same thing would apply
to China, France, Germany, or any other country with cities, wealth, or
stationary targets the US can hit back at if they are attacked. However, a
group of people with no boarders, no country, no wealth, and no real future,
would not worry about repercussions of a nuclear attack against the US. They
have nothing to lose. The United States would not have a target to hit back.
Even if it did succeed in killing all 2,000 members of fanatical religious
group, so what, it still destroyed a US city with millions.

"And I assume you are referring to the EMP (electromagnetic pulse) that can
knock out electronics when you write that we can "fry the transistors" of
the incoming missiles?"

Yes, it is called an e-bomb (electronic). Not only is it possible to create
them, the US already has them (I watch too much Discovery Channel). The
trouble with them is that they do not discriminate against a device used to
keep someone alive in a hospital and a device used to launch a missile at a
US tank. They also do not just wipe out the enemies equipment, they wipe out
your stuff too. The military also has cannons that can be pointed at devices
and missiles in the air that shoot an electronic signal that confuses the
missile. These devices are often blamed for messing up the electromagnetic
detection of animals in the ocean, like lobsters, turtles, and whales in
trying to navigate and thus leads to some of them being beached, or not
making it to mating areas.

"The fact is that at this moment if everyone involved in controlling
Russia's nuclear arsenal went MAD"

Yes, if everyone in Russia went mad, the US would take some nuclear strikes,
not able to knock them all out of the sky in time. And if Mexico and Canada
joined forces and attacked the United States at the same time they could
take Arizona and New Hampshire. But to what ends? Yes, anything can happen.
But we have to ask what is most reasonable, what is most likely to occur?
What  threat is lurking out there that is most likely to happen? And what
will we do about it if it does?

I would be happy if all the Nuclear Weapons under the control the Soviet
Union were under the control of a government. The scary thing is that they
are not, they are under the control of who knows who.

The most likely attempt to occur, in my opinion, would be a group of
religious fanatics, terrorists, or a small poor rouge nation with nothing to
lose that hates the US, will try to smuggle a bomb into the US and detonate
it. I do not think that sane governments of powerful nations and a positive
future  will be the ones to launch an attack on the US. I have little fear
of that happening. The guy on foot that does not like you  is more likely to
key your Porsche then the guy that does not like you driving in a Mercedes.

Sleep well,

Donovan J Arnold